Discover my 3 proven strategies for women over 50.
Are you feeling left behind? There's always something new - a new app, a new way of doing things. Every day there's new technology happening, and change is just getting faster. Scary? Hell yeah!
Are you worried that your job could disappear? This is exactly what's happening to many accountants or bookkeepers now that we have smart online applications that anyone can use.
Have you been made redundant before? And it really sucked and you’re worried it could happen again?
Maybe you're between jobs, finding it difficult to find a new one; or struggling to get the promotion you know you deserve.
I've got some tips that will make a difference to you and how you feel about your future. If you’re worried about job security here are three suggestions to turn any negative thoughts around so you can take positive action today.
3 Tips to Take Positive Action Today
1. Do a stock take
List down all the things you're good at. Not just at work. We've got 50+ years’ life experience to draw upon! Don't forget to include all your talents, aptitudes, and skills.
Which brings me to say: Don't undervalue what you know! It's so easy to take what we know for granted. It's become what is called, an unconscious competence.
One way to get around this is to ask your friends to tell you what they think you're good at. You might be surprised.
Then take some action to see what work you could do using these talents.
2. Explore retraining and refreshing your skills
- Studying full-time is a big commitment, but could be just the right thing for some of us. Or you also have the option of part-time studies.
- On the job training. What professional development is available in your organisation? Check them out.
- Are their projects that you could put your hand up for that will expand your skill set?
- How about online learning? There are thousands of courses you can do from home, in bed, and in your pajamas! That works for me. Subscribe to the people you admire online and once you get their emails regularly you'll often find they offer a course.
- And then there's YouTube. You can find all sorts of video tutorials with a simple search.
- On a more local level, check out Eventfinda or other event apps for workshops, seminars or events with speakers. Does your local chamber of commerce, library, or council offer any low-cost training?
- Another less obvious way to learn is to teach or mentor someone less experienced than you. I find that teaching others always helps me learn and refine my knowledge and skills.
- Lastly, look for Meetups and other informal networks you can join. You never know, until you turn up a couple of times, who you might meet and how they can help you - or how you could help them!
3. Get a career or life coach
Career coaches aren't just for when you're between jobs. They also help you plan your career or open your eyes to new possibilities.
Coaching will help you discover where you're at, what you want, how to make a plan, and keep you accountable for putting that plan into action.
From my experience, it’s easy to see what a difference it makes having someone on your side.
It’s all about your mindset
Often times, when we're worried about our jobs, you’ll find that it's because we've lost our confidence, or we don't truly value what we offer an employer.
That's when a new mindset can change your view of your work.
So - Don't underrate yourself. Don't think it's too late to retrain.
Take a fresh look. Allow yourself the time to truly reflect on all the great things you've done - both at work and in your personal life.
And if you really want to take charge of your life then take advice from Tony Robbins on how to know when it’s time to move on.
All it takes is one baby step today to lead you in the right direction.
Just one step is all it takes to make a change. And then you can take another step tomorrow or even next week. Come on. Be brave. Do one thing today!
What's the one baby step you're taking today to move you from worrying about your job to feeling excited about your work?
Not Ready To Buy The Book? Get 5 Free Chapters
Get my gift, the first 5 chapters of my ebook. Reboot Your Life: Move from Stuck to Unstoppable at Work.
Here I introduce 3 simple steps to:-
- Explore your 'stuckness'
- Discover practical actions you can take today
- Learn the self-care mindset and principles that work for me. I know these will work for you!